Hit and expertise caps in CataclysmDecember 7, 2010 at 1:34 am | Posted in Uncategorized | 5 Comments
The various rating conversion coefficients are changing in Cataclysm. The nice people at Elitist Jerks have been kind enough to figure out the numbers for us, but here is the brief summary:
- At 85, you need 30.0272 rating per point of expertise. So, to reach the soft cap for parry (26 expertise), you will need 781 expertise rating. The hard cap (56 expertise) is 1682.
- For hit, you need 120.109 rating per percentage point. So, to reach the 8% threshold for raid bosses, you will need 961 hit rating. Draenei can relax this a little thanks to their racial.
The new character stat sheet has done a lot to make the value of these stats more transparent, but it’s still useful to have the information. As for the relative value of expertise and hit for threat, priorities are as follows:
- Before hitting the expertise soft cap, each point of expertise gives 0.25% reduction to both dodge and parry. This means that 60.0544 expertise rating produces 1% more good swings. So, as at 80, expertise is preferred prior to the softcap.
- After hitting the expertise soft cap, each point of expertise gives 0.25% reduction to parry only. This means that 120.1088 (rounding error?) expertise rating produces 1% more good swings. This is basically the same as hit rating, so hit is probably preferred due to its role in reducing misses of Taunt and similar abilities.
- After hitting the hit cap, expertise is obviously preferred.
Prior to Cataclysm, expertise also had a substantial avoidance value in terms of reducing parry-hasted attacks by bosses. There was some talk about this being removed in Cataclysm, but I have been unable to find a solid reference regarding this, though it is mentioned on EJ.